Monday, June 15, 2009

Bonnaroo Day 3


This just in from BPD member StevieBoy:

I'm already too spent for words, but I've made it to the final day: Wilco, Elvis Costello, Springsteen. I'm jacked!!

I headed to the Which Tent where Booker T and the Drive By Truckers were playing. Booker T was not actually playing with the Drive By Truckers when I was checking them out but I think he came out moments after I left the stage to go see Raphael Saadiq at That Tent. Saadiq and his live backing band were amazing and had the entire crowd under the tent signing and dancing along to all of their songs.

One of the bigger acts I wanted to see all weekend was already playing at That Tent by the time I trucked over there. The artist, Jenny Lewis, had a huge gathering checking her out, including someone who was going to play the same stage later on: Elvis Costello. He ultimately joined Lewis to perform “Carpetbaggers,” which I'd actually suspected since the two worked together on that song previously.

I had a very tough time actually seeing her on stage, though, as there were so many people blocking the view, but her voice was strong and beautiful regardless. I envy all who could see Lewis and her band play, but I still feel fortunate to have been in attendance, especially when she covered the Traveling Wilbury’s “Handle With Care.”

With the performance time slots so close together, I had to make a quick choice of who I was going to check out next, finally deciding to head over to the What Stage to watch Wilco for a couple of songs and then return to That Tent for Elvis Costello.

Wilco was amazing and I really wish I could have seen more than I did. I enjoyed hearing “Handshake Drugs” as did thousands of others who flocked to the main stage to catch their performance. After soaking in a couple of tunes I made my way back to see Elvis Costello who stated his performance would include some special guests.

He played “Radio, Radio” as well as the Beatles’ “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away.” And his special guests wound up being Jenny Lewis and Allen Toussaint. Overall, Costello's set was strong and all of the fans were asking for more by the time it was over. Personally, I was thrilled to have heard “(What’s So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?” and "Veronica."

The Boss and band began at around 9:30pm to a full — and loud — house. This was the first time I'd ever seen Bruce Springsteen live and so I hardly kept my eyes off the stage.

I recognized a couple of songs but it became clear that I'm a novice when it comes to Springsteen’s catalog. I enjoyed hearing “Youngstown” as well as one particular track I never thought I would hear live in my life. Actually, it was a sign request — albeit an improbable one — but Springsteen apparently saw the humor in it and proceeded to play “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.” It was more than I could have asked for.

People of all ages soaked in the almost three-hour set with some singing along and even more dancing and enjoyment of the cool evening. Springsteen admitted that Bonnaroo was only the second festival the band had ever played, their first being in Norway recently. Festival or not, The Boss played a full show complete with an encore as well as a great cover of Steven Foster’s “Hard Times Come Again No More.”

I laughed when Springsteen would ask the crowd if they were “all Bonnaroo’d out yet”. I was sure getting there, but I didn't let my heavy eyes prevent me from enjoying other tunes like “Glory Days,” “Dancing In The Dark,” and “Rosalita.” I later heard that it was quite rare to hear all three songs played live during the same show and I consider myself lucky to have done so.

Nine Inch Nails were another act I was pumped to see and apparently so was a major portion of the crowd who made it to the Which Stage before I did. I stood further away than I would've liked but I still enjoyed their awesome set, which included songs like “Terrible Lie,” “March Of The Pigs”, "I'm Afraid Of Americans,” “Burn,” and “Gave Up.” The showstopper, though, would have to be when Dillinger Escape Plan joined NIN on stage for “Wish.”

I'm outta gas. What a show!
Seeing shows like this from the back cannot be described. Find out for yourself. Join BackstagePassDirect today.