Thursday, November 11, 2010

Member Review: Carrie Underwood



BPD member Idol Gossip writes us:
Carrie performed on a large stage that sported a circular lighting rig, a semi-circular video screen, a levitating and rotating platform, and eight band members including a fiddler, pedal-steel and banjo player.


Vocally, she hit her stride by the fourth song, the ballad, I Know You Won't, from her 2005 debut, Some Hearts, but attempts at musicianship, like playing an electric guitar during Some Hearts, just rang a little false.


Underwood rebounded by the next song, Just A Dream, donning a pink, sequined, long, puffy, skirt that didn't quite match her black leather bustier leftover from the first outfit, as she sat on swing tied to a cheesy looking tree branch which hung overhead.


By the next tune, the ho-hum Someday When I Stop Loving you, she'd lost the skirt but also some momentum but rebounded yet again with All-American Girl - which she changed to All-Canadian Girl - and strapped on an acoustic guitar.


"Hey, I changed the words around a little bit on this one," she said to applause.


Also noteworthy were So Small; the fiesty Undo It, Last Name, and Before He Cheats; sentimental fan favourite and her first single, Jesus, Take the Wheel, and What Can I Say, which was performed as a duet with opening act Sons Of Sylvia.


Each and every song showed off Underwood's powerful pipes.


She also donned a futuristic lit-up dress for Change and recreated the Grand Ole Opry for an electronic duet with Randy Travis on I Told You So as he appeared on video screens.


But there really is no way to describe the sight of Underwood on an electric blue truck - with her first name emblazoned in sequins on the back - as it slowly flew over the crowd for her cover of John Denver's Take Me Home Country Road and her own This Time.


To her credit, Underwood joked that in the early stages of putting her show together she told the producers that she was afraid of heights.


"I said, 'Whatever you doing don't put me in a flying truck,'"said the singer who was tethered to her microphone stand so she wouldn't fall off."I don't know what happened."


Neither do I, but the audience seemed to love it.


Backstage, I asked her about her Idol experience: "It never ceases to amaze me how one little decision to try out for a television show has lead me to all kinds of places", she answered.


Carrie continues to grow as a performer. Newly married, the world is hers to harvest.


SET LIST


Cowboy Casanova


Quitter


Wasted


I Know You Won't


Some Hearts


Just a Dream


Temporary Home


Someday When I Stop Loving You


All-American Girl


So Small


Country Roads Take Me Home


This Time


Undo It


Jesus, Take the Wheel/How Great Thou Art


What Can I Say (with opening act Sons of Sylvia)


Change


I Told You So (with a video of Randy Travis)


Mama's Song


Last Name


ENCORE


Before He Cheats


Songs Like These
Thanks for the report IG.

BackstagePassDirect members always have the best seats in the house. Sign up today and you can too.