Monday, February 1, 2010

Grammy Report


Another year for the Grammys is in the record books.

BPD's own Tara Lemmon was backstage and filed this report:

I was looking forward to this year’s show for a couple of obvious reasons. And for the most part, I wasn’t too surprised at the results. There were several great moments, a bunch of mediocre ones, and a few dreadful ones. Not wanting to alienate anyone, I'll just highlight the high spots.

Lady Gaga/Elton John
First Elizabeth Windsor and now Elton John. Gaga sure has been hanging with a lot of old queens lately. Seriously, the whole thing was the kind of eye-catching, show stopping number we've come to expect from her. (It was also surprisingly sweet and charming when she and Elton were singing together.) And it would have been the performance of the night if only it weren't for.......................

Pink
To quote Lady Gaga, "You've left me speechless." Pink managed to walk away with the whole thing last night. First of all, she looked gorgeous. Then there was the SINGING. While hanging halfway upside down, soaking wet and spinning. And somehow is was still an understated performance. (Sorry Gaga, love ya, but you been served.)

Mary J. Blige/Andrea Bocelli
Classy and moving. Especially considering what a tightrope walk the opera + pop combo can be. But then Mary J. always brings that. (Why am I suddenly hungry for spaghetti though?)

Lady Antebellum
An excellent display of good old-fashioned musicanship. Three of young Nashville’s most talented delivering another solid performance - despite a vengeful curtain.

Maxwell/Roberta Flack
Also a classy, understated performance by two insanely talented singers. And who doesn't love Roberta Flack? ("I felt all flushed with fever...")

Jeff Beck/Imelda May
When I first spotted May sitting next to Beck in the audience, I just assumed she was his wife/girlfriend/friend. When he started playing Les Paul and Mary Ford’s “How High the Moon” and she was onstage with him I thought, hmmmm. Then she sang. Wowee-wow-wow! And that’s one tough song. If you don’t believe me, you try getting through the modulated scale that leads from the bridge into the second verse without pulling something. So we have a guitar great (Beck) honoring a guitar legend (Les Paul) plus the evening’s “Holy Cow! Who is that singing?” moment in the same number. Brilliant.

To be honest, I was so awestruck by all the star power backstage that I spent almost all my time wiping the never-ending drool stream from my mouth.

Sorry boss, no interviews.


Who can blame her?

Wanna see shows from the unique backstage point of view? Wanna rub elbows with your faves? Join BackstagePassDirect today!