Monday, July 20, 2009

Member Review: Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood










Earlier this year, we were the first to announce Eric and Stevie's limited tour. BPD member SavannahSexDrive jumped right on it and ended up with a pair of passes. Here's what he had to say about their recent show:
Back in the 60s, "Clapton is God" would be written on the walls of London after Clapton concerts. Now I truly understand why. Add in another legend to the mix and that is where the real pantsdropping begins. Eric Clapton was a mad man on the guitar, ripping out solos with such amazing speed that I began to wonder how he could be doing that with just his two hands. I heard his live performances before on youtube and such, but being there was entirely different.

It also must be said both Clapton and Winwood worked extremely well together, as Winwood's wonderful vocals, piano playing, and guitar perfectly complimented Clapton's guitar. Eric was totally ON. Blistering fast up and down the neck. His Strat sounded crisp, warm and blazing. As for Stevie Winwood, how can he still sound that good?!?! I closed my eyes and it was if they were playing 40 years ago. And that band! Tight. All together, they made an unstoppable blues driven frenzy of guitar madness mixed with insane piano playing.

I was so happy that they played Voodoo Chile, which turned out to be one of the best covers I've heard. However I was a little let down by Layla as Clapton didn't really put too much power or soloing into it, as the solo was taken away by the piano. And don't get me wrong the piano playing was amazing and fit in the song perfectly, but I wanted to see Clapton let loose as he did on is Unplugged album. I also was a tad dissapointed that they didn't play a few other songs, such as Little Wing, Bell Bottom Blues, Sunshine of Your Love, or Badge.

However, it was still absolutely amazing. I've tried watching some of Claptons previous live performances on this tour, but I feel he just unleashed tonight. Simply put, it was a pants dropping mesmerizing crazy experience ... and I couldn't get enough of it.

About meeting Eric and Steve backstage, how to describe it? One Word - Unbelievable. I did not know what to expect and I was completely blown away. They were down to earth and, dare I say it(?), regular guys. Wow, who'da thunk it.

Set List:

01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. After Midnight
04. Presence of The Lord
05. Sleeping in the Ground
06. Glad
07. Well Alright
08. Tough Luck Blues
09. Pearly Queen
10. There's A River
11. Forever Man
12. Georgia On My Mind - Steve Winwood solo
13. Driftin' - acoustic
14. How Long Blues
15. Layla - acoustic version
16. Can't Find My Way Home
17. Split Decision
18. Voodoo Chile

Encore:
19. Cocaine
20. Dear Mr. Fantasy

Band Lineup:
Eric Clapton - guitar, vocals
Steve Winwood - vocals, Hammond B3, piano, guitar
Chris Stainton - keyboards
Willie Weeks - bass
Abe Laboriel, Jr. - drums
Michelle John - backing vocals
Sharon White - backing vocals

Here's the only way I can sum it up: seeing Clapton and Winwood, healthy and in top form, reminds one that, as Albert Einstein once said in reference to Mahatma Gandhi, "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood."

Thank you ever so much BackstagePassDirect for making this happen.
Who'da thunk it indeed!!