Thursday, February 26, 2009

Member Review: Coldplay


Beeder wrote:

I guess third time's a charm with Coldplay and me! This was definitely my favorite of all the three times. Maybe because I was backstage, and the atmosphere was just very excited.

Highlights for me:
  • Chris said a few people in the crowd were up way past their bedtime!
  • I guess when they go up to the 'cheap' seats it really shocks everyone, because once again the biggest noise of the night came when they went up there. Chris said something like, "For all of those in the front, you can take a break from looking at us. For those of you back here...This is what we look like up close." Chris said "The Scientist" was written by Will after his football team ("that's soccer, by the way," Chris said) lost to Jonny's favorite football team.
  • Seeing this new version of "God Put A Smile..." up close! The runway stage was really easy for me to see, and man, Jonny really goes off on his whammy bar! Maybe 'cos I'm a guitar nerd, but it was so awesome to see his hands actually play the guitar and do that effect. You can't see that from the cheap seats. I've never wanted a Telecaster, but Jonny makes me want to go out and buy one.
  • Chris just talking, talking, talking: During the start of the show he noticed a series of electronic Hooters advertisements that go around the arena, and I think he said he'd never seen so many Hooters signs in one place. He said that Coldplay doesn't endorse Hooters, because they're not the type of band that endorses Hooters. He said they WISH they were that kind of band, but they're not.
  • When he was making his way up to the cheap sets, Chris said something like, "is it just me, or is every woman in California beautiful?" or something like that.
Overall, one of my best weekends ever with Coldplay from the back on Friday and in front on Sunday. Now I have to get back to work, but how am I supposed to get back to work after a Coldplay weekend? Someone help me!

It looks like everyone who was there had a great time. The setlist stayed the same, so I guess those changes will be coming a little later.

1. Life In Technicolor
2. Violet Hill
3. Clocks
4. In My Place
5. Speed Of Sound
6. Cemeteries Of London
7. Chinese Sleep Chant
8. 42
9. Fix You
10. Strawberry Swing
11. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)
12. Talk (techno remix)
13. The Hardest Part
14. Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)
15. Viva La Vida
16. Lost!
17. The Scientist (acoustic)
18. Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)
19. Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

First Encore
20. Politik
21. Lovers In Japan
22. Death And All His Friends

Second Encore
23. Yellow
24. The Escapist (outro)

Oh, BTW - some other guy who got a pass to the back from BPD got himself so trashed, he had to be asked to leave.........................and this was before he met the band.

Chris was really nice to me and we spent about 10 minutes just talking about the music we liked. The guy was really just "normal".

BackstagePassDirect, you IT!!